Thursday, April 19, 2012
|These ones are mine.Used white thread.|
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Sewing has become my new favorite craft. I still love knitting, but my wrist pain keeps me from knitting as much as I'd like. I've been learning sewing techniques from my favorite craft blogs. I have become so obsessed with Dana's kid pants tutorials at Made , that after making 3 pairs, I bought fabric for 3 more. I feel like I have to keep making them in as many fabrics as possible. They were so simple and so flattering on the boys. Her tutorials let you customize the design. One pair has elastic all the way around, and one has a flat front with optional pockets. I was not a huge fan of the seersucker I used on the first pair. Maybe it was the quality of the fabric, but it unravels so easily. I do not have a serger, so I opted for a zigzag stitch. On the second pair, I chose a cotton-linen blend (which also unraveled easily). Note to self: buy a serger. For the 3rd pair, I rummaged through my husbands drawers to find a red thermal he never wears. I have been reading a lot of tutorials on using men's shirts for knit fabric. This was my first attempt at sewing knit fabric. I used a zigzag stitch, a ballpoint needle, and a walking foot. It turned out well, but I will not lie and say it was easy. It was definitely tricky, but I would love to try it again. For the pattern, I downloaded Dana's from her site and adjusted accordingly. My older son is 5 1/2 and wears a 4/5 in boys, so I added a 1/2 in. all the way around the 2-3T pattern. I added 6 in. to the length. For my younger son who wears a 24m- 2T, I took off about 3-4 in. on the length, and used a pair of his pants that fit him, to trace. You can find Dana's basic kid pant here. I love her fabric choices and the way she styles her boy. She has a great eye for color combinations, even down to the shoes.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Thursday, April 5, 2012
I was ironing a couple of my favorite summer tops the other day and I started to get sad, because I realized they were starting to get those awful pit stains. One I love because of the fit, and the other I love because of cute cotton print and little pleated pockets. Then I thought, maybe I could learn to make my own. I decided to deconstruct one of the tops (the one that had the worst stains) and use those pieces as a "pattern". I first tried to use a seam ripper, but got too impatient and just decided to cut along the seams.
APRIL 6- Just found a tutorial for this method from Dana at Made . Find it here. She says to remember seam allowances (which I almost forgot).
I have always wanted to learn to make a quilt, but the thought of doing it all by hand was very daunting. So I decided to give machine quilting a whirl. And I also did a "cheater" quilt. I did not piece squares together like a traditional quilt. I used one large rectangular piece of fabric and just sewed a criss-cross design, by first sewing parallel lines in one direction, and then more parallel lines across the first set. I made my own bias tape from a great tutorial here and also learned how to bind it.
I always have several knitting projects going at once, and sometimes when they are all time consuming, I start to get bored. So, for a little instant gratification, I will make a very small project. I came across a cool bracelet pattern on Ravelry, and I was inspired to make yarn jewelry. It also got me excited about doing crochet again. I tried a new technique of pre-stringing the beads on the yarn. It worked out great. I am hoping to incorporate more beads into my knitting. I have been considering getting into jewelry making for awhile, and this was a good step in that direction. The first bracelet is called the Beaded Chains Bracelet. The pattern can be found on Ravelry. The second, is one I call Island Bracelet. It is my own design.
I never knew how fun this could be! This past winter, I made a hat that required fabric-covered buttons. I definitely want to do this again. The hat I made, didn't turn out so flattering, but the buttons are adorable. The button cover kit was very easy to use and only cost a couple of dollars.