Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Little Boy Pants




Sewing has become my new favorite craft. I still love knitting, but my wrist pain keeps me from knitting as much as I'd like. I've been learning sewing techniques from my favorite craft blogs. I have become so obsessed with Dana's kid pants tutorials at Made , that after making 3 pairs, I bought fabric for 3 more. I feel like I have to keep making them in as many fabrics as possible. They were so simple and so flattering on the boys. Her tutorials let you customize the design. One pair has elastic all the way around, and one has a flat front with optional pockets. I was not a huge fan of the seersucker I used on the first pair. Maybe it was the quality of the fabric, but it unravels so easily. I do not have a serger, so I opted for a zigzag stitch. On the second pair, I chose a cotton-linen blend (which also unraveled easily). Note to self: buy a serger. For the 3rd pair, I rummaged through my husbands drawers to find a red thermal he never wears. I have been reading a lot of tutorials on using men's shirts for knit fabric. This was my first attempt at sewing knit fabric. I used a zigzag stitch, a ballpoint needle, and a walking foot. It turned out well, but I will not lie and say it was easy. It was definitely tricky, but I would love to try it again. For the pattern, I downloaded Dana's from her site and adjusted accordingly. My older son is 5 1/2 and wears a 4/5 in boys, so I added a 1/2 in. all the way around the 2-3T pattern. I added 6 in. to the length. For my younger son who wears a 24m- 2T, I took off about 3-4 in. on the length, and used a pair of his pants that fit him, to trace. You can find Dana's basic kid pant here. I love her fabric choices and the way she styles her boy. She has a great eye for color combinations, even down to the shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment