Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cheaper Curtains

Recently, I saw a brilliant tutorial for striped curtains on Prudent Baby. My older son's room had been without curtains for months, but I was having such a hard time finding any I liked. I had been drooling over the gorgeous fabrics from fabricworm, but not willing to pay for 4 yards of fabric, plus shipping. Monaluna for Birch Circa 60 Beach Mod was just what I was looking for. The tutorial shows you how to use half yards of designer fabric and an inexpensive sheet to make your curtains and save money. I was not able to find a sheet in a color I liked, so I ended up using muslin, which cost more, but I had a coupon at Joann fabrics.
Sorry about the lighting. Was not able to use natural light.
Jacinda's version had grommets, but I was not brave enough to try these. It was mostly because I didn't wanna have to buy better looking curtain rods. So I stuck with my standard 97 cent ones. Instead of the usual pocket that goes all the way across the curtain, I made tabs in the back, modeled after my favorite IKEA curtains. If I make these again, I will post a step-by-step tutorial. Here are Jacinda's Striped Grommet Curtains.


While I was at it, I decided to reorganize Aiden's room. He has one of those beds with the built-in bookshelf, but his books are so thin, that they fall between the bed and the wall. So instead of fishing them out all the time, I decided to find a better way to store them. I put then in storage boxes where he could still reach them, on top of his toy bin. The toy bin is from IKEA.

Let's see how long this neatness lasts.

































































































No comments:

Post a Comment