Thursday, November 10, 2011

Italian Beefs

                Time to break out the crock pot!
As much I love to cook, I also love those days where I'm too busy to cook and I get to use my crock pot. I love coming home and having dinner almost ready. Here is an easy italian beef recipe that can be stretched to feed a crowd. I make these for birthday parties, but when it's just me and my husband, we have enough for 2-3days.
                    Ingredients
Sirloin Tip roast-  2.5-3.5 lb. (you could use another cut,but this is the leanest)
2 cans beef broth
12 oz. jar Vlasic deli style mild pepper rings
1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 packet of McCormick au jus gravy mix
provolone or mozzarella slices (optional) 
green peppers and onions cut in strips (optional)
crusty sub rolls (I prefer Turano)

Add roast, beef broth, half of the pepper rings(more if you like) and all of the juice from the jar, lipton soup packet, and half of the au jus gravy packet (this should be enough but you could always add more later). Cook on low 6-8 hours. The roast should be so tender it falls apart when you touch it with a fork. Shred the meat with forks and discard any fat. Add meat back to the pot. Saute onions and peppers in olive oil. Toast the outer side of your rolls in a 350 degree oven. Toast until they are just starting to get crispy. Fill the rolls with meat, onions, peppers, then top with cheese. Brown sandwiches, open-face under a broiler. DO NOT TAKE EYES OFF SANDWICH! It only takes a few seconds. I burned the edges on a couple of mine. Or you can skip the broiler and just melt your cheese in a toaster oven or turn the oven up to 400. Serve with a cup of the au jus.
When serving a crowd, I skip the cheese, onions and peppers. I set out kaiser rolls and untoasted sub rolls cut in half. People can dish up their own sandwiches.
Leftovers can be reheated in a saucepan on the stove. For something different, you can drain the meat, add BBQ sauce, and leave off the onions,peppers,and cheese for BBQ beef sandwiches.Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment